Monday, September 13, 2004

OMG!

You actually wind Mao!"

This is the realization I came to earlier this evening on the phone with Dave. I went to dinner with him on Saturday night, and during dinner, he decided that he no longer wanted his way-cool watch, and he was going to give it to me, since I was so amused with it.

Now, let me tell you about this watch. Dave went to China for vacay a few months back, and brought this watch as a kitschy souvenir. Simple, black leather band, but it has a picture of General Mao on it, and not only is the second hand a red star, but General Mao is constantly waving his arm. Oh, if only you could see it in action! Tell me why I should not love this watch!

Ever grateful, I took the watch home, then noticed the next morning that it was behind in time. I popped the crown and reset the time. Later, I noticed the watch stopped completely, and Ol' Mao was resting his arm. Gah. I figured I'd have to bring him into Sears today to replace the battery. Then I thought, wait: David just went to China a few months ago. Crap-ass Chinese craftsmanship!

So, the trip to Sears never came to fruition because I was stuck at work all day. I ended up talking to Dave on the phone, and asked him if the watch ever just stops. And he mentioned it did sometimes. I told him I'd see if they could fix it when I brought it in to replace the battery, since the watch stopped and wouldn't re-start again.

"But, didn't you try winding it first?" he asked, incredulously.

"What the shit are you talking about?" I said, my voice the tone of a helplessly confused person. "Wind Mao?"

"Yes," he said, "It doesn't have a battery. You wind it to keep time."

"Oh. Right."

Well, shit. He just saved my ass a trip to Sears.

Or not. Damned thing still can't keep time for shit.

0 Comments: