Sunday, February 13, 2005

Rooftop scraping and other maladies.

This weekend was incredibly uneventful. So much so that the highlight of it was my effort to stay away from sodas and drink strictly juices and tea. Don't ask me how it started, it just did. Anyway, late this afternoon, I had a hankering for some cereal, and I was totally out of my Florida Gators Cereal, so I hopped in the car and went down to my local Kash N' Karry. There, it was extremely busy for a Sunday afternoon, and the parking lot was teeming with overpriced SUVs.

(Speaking of SUVs, just a minor segue: Remind me to avoid any and all airings of any episode of MTV's My Super Sweet 16, because all those snotty kids with all that access to their parents' grossly high disposable income just make me want to go postal. The fact that these parents drop about a quarter of a million in the blink of an eye for ungrateful, whiny little assholes, compared to the fact that they could drop that same money over a matter of years and fund the higher education of a number of eager, hard working, grateful "less than" kids and still have money left over just makes my eyes burn with fiery hot injustice. Okay, moving on...)

So, I get to the store, after fishing around for a parking space for ten minutes, and the inside of the store is as busy as the parking lot. I procured four boxes of cereal (I had a hankering for Peanut Butter Crunch, as it seems I haven't had any in about a year), and went back out to the parking lot, where since everybody else in their overpriced SUVs decided the traffic laws didn't apply to them, I sat in my parking spot for TEN MINUTES until I had an open shot to back out of my space. I'm not kidding. I was halfway out of my spot during my first attempt to leave when a stupid Escalade decided they were going to block the rest of my exit so that they could wait on another space opening, further down in the lot. Then come the people walking from their cars to the store, who see you're already halfway out of your space, then decide to stand directly behind your car because they want to stop to answer their cell phone and obviously can't walk and talk at the same time (see, because that would be dangerous!).

I had not one problem with an elderly person today, as the elderly were the only ones observing general traffic and courtesy rules, waiting on the sidewalks and looking both ways, and showing thanks when I let them cross or go ahead of me (and I let each and every one go, because damned if Billy BigBucks in his godforsaken Hummer with no true utilitarian purpose was going to get to his dinner at Burns any faster by running Gramps over!).

It seems I am quite angry today. Grr.

Anyway, I made it home, and had myself a big, heaping bowl of Peanut Butter Crunch. In my excitement, I didn't let the milk soak in for the standard softening time, and, as can be expected, it tore up the roof of my mouth. This, of course, could not be felt until after I finished the bowl and tried to drink my iced tea half an hour later. Man, I just can't win.

0 Comments: